Saturday, March 18, 2006


I now have 3708 photos of specifically Tallinn icicles (group and individual portraits), but not all are satisfactory, by far. This one, on the other hand, is a new species as yet undescribed by science. I therefore wish to name it a pokucle in honour of Edgar Valter, Estonian artist and story-teller, who died 4th March 2006 at the age of 76. One of his best-known works, the Pokuraamat, the Poku Book, describes the life and adventures of the little people of south Estonia who live inside sedge grass, the Pokus. This is what I imagine they look like in winter if, by chance, they come to town. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Pierre said...

Gosh, still cold in Tallinn! Hey, spring within two days!

March 19, 2006 1:53 pm  
Blogger Brian DubĂ© said...

Hi Tallinn!
I very much enjoy seeing what it's like in Tallinn every day. I knew it was cold but did not realize how different it was, we are definitely getting to spring here, backsliding from time to time excepted, but I suspect even with all the snow and icicles it is very cozy and coping with the winter is well worked out in Tallinn. Here in NYC, many refuse to acknowledge the cold and go out without hats or gloves, I did myself for years until I was schooled differently by a new friend from Michigan, the cold climate most similar to Estonia over here, I think...
Lucy

March 19, 2006 5:11 pm  
Blogger Nicola said...

Beautiful "ice sculpture" made by nature!

March 19, 2006 10:43 pm  
Blogger midnitebara said...

Had icicles too but not pretty like that. Was hanging from our apartments roof. Old as it is, it gave and now the roof is being repaired.Love you winter pictures.

March 20, 2006 5:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home